- Ultrasound is a great modality for teaching.
- There are no adverse bio-effects with ultrasound.
- Because of its clinical value, ultrasound is the #1 imaging modality in the world.
- Ultrasonography as a skill has direct applicability in many clinical specialties.
There has been a revolution in ultrasound and digital technology in recent years that has resulted in ultrasound machines that are:
Clinical Value of Ultrasonography
- Clinical Utility:
- Important for the diagnosis and management of five of the top ten causes of death in low and middle income countries as reported by the WHO: coronary heart disease, stroke, perinatal conditions, hypertensive heart disease, and road traffic accidents.
- Confirmation of many physical diagnoses at point of care.
- Early detection for problems such as AAA and LVH.
- Timeliness of Clinical information : immediate results, readily integrated into physical exam
- Cost Effective: improves the quality of care and patient outcomes, enhances patient safety, and lowers incidence of ICU care
- Diversity of Users: learned by a variety of healthcare providers
- Transmission of digital images: for consultation and training
- Portability : small, mobile units bring technology to the bedside